Custom Search

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Sweet Innocence, little girl on beach, oil painting by Esther J. Williams




















I have painted a figural oil, it's been a long time overdue. Last Sunday, I went to a picnic at Doheny Beach and saw the ultimate little child with the most adorable face. She was like an angel with that platinum hair curled by the sea air and wind. I had to paint her. She reminded me of my own daughter when she was young and I dressed her up in cute dresses. The shot I took was miraculous, as if it was meant to be. I spent an evening sketching her first, then the whole next day I tackled the painting. I departed from my larger brush strokes applied in plein air and impressionism and went semi-realism with a touch of being painterly. I wanted to do honor to this beautiful child for the first time I would paint her. I took several images so I will probably paint her again. I have slightly changed the dress, it had a pattern, but I wanted to make it simple and kept it all red. The ocean really was a gorgeous blue with aqua colors beyond the waves, it was the perfect beach day. I want to go back and find that little girl again, the aura about her was so pure. She was very well mannered and the pose she made was real, almost a curtsy. That's why I called this Sweet Innocence. It is 8"W X 10"H belgian linen stretched canvas. Price is $250.00 including a dark wide frame.

No comments: