Custom Search

Sunday, July 26, 2009

A Dangerous Catch Type Boat, oil painting
















I got so excited when I saw this old fishing boat in the Dana Point Harbor. I went to paint with the SOCALPAPA artist's last Friday, July 17th and I think I swooned and babbled so much about how I would paint it that it got a few more artists painting it too! Anyway, I had wished I had a larger canvas. This is oil on linen over board 14"W x 11"H. I have purposely cut off the last quarter of the boat to give the front end the focal point. I watched it for awhile and mentally pictured how my scene would look in the end. There was a little dingy that would come by once in awhile with fish on it and the guys would stir up the pelicans and egrets. I felt it created drama and artistically placed them aroud the focal area under the boat's name, "Cachalot". I really loved painting this one and I think it shows. I have since gone back to where it was docked and it is still there. I want to paint it again, but there is so much going on right now with my art life. I am working on entering two more exhibitions. This was entered into the SOCALPAPA's summer online juried show. I will find out the results of the show next Sunday at our annual summer party. We will be at Doheny Beach having a potluck picnic!
I have also painted a small work study from my upper deck at my new house. I have a view of a canyon corridor that when the sunset dips behind it, it creates a new atmosphere every night. I am completely enthralled with this setting and want to paint it many times. Living within the two mile coastal climate makes our place have it's own weather patterns. I am eager to prepare many small linen panels to paint these little jewels in the future. I will also create a larger painting from several of them someday.
I am still unpacking and organizing our home. The Koi pond is done and we have had a Great Blue Heron problem, no fish lost, but I had to install the electric fence again. I am still working on planting lilies, irises and daffodils around the rest of the pond. I realized that Monet has influenced me more than an artistic way, I love to build a sanctuary pond and garden like he did. Mine is a smaller scale at this house. If I ever buy a larger plot of land, I will most definitely go larger. I have spent many an evening just sitting in a chair watching the fish swim and the sun set, it's very calming and rejuvenating too. Until next time I get a chance to write, enjoy your life, plant seeds, plants and spread love from your heart into the earth.

No comments: