Custom Search

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

American Pie - Lobster Boat, Original Plein Air Painting by Esther J. Williams




















"American Pie - Lobster Boat" 6"W x 6"H, oil on linen over panel. I discovered this boat when it was on a dry dock, uplifted in the boat yard a few months ago. I saw that the former name was being whited out and a new name was about to go on. The next time I saw the boat, the new owner was looking at the new paint job. I asked him why the name change and he said he bought it in a bankruptcy sale and since the boat already had bad luck, he didn`t think a new name would jinx it. He said a song kept playing over in his head on the way back east, you guessed it, "Bye, bye, Miss American Pie" He shortened it and I love it. The third time I discovered the boat, it was in a slip in the Dana Point Harbor. I was excited to see it again, drove home and got my easel and paints to come back. Like the song, I could not get this boat out of my mind and was glad for the chance to be able to paint a small workstudy like this.
Which brings to mind a quote I created this day:
"It's not the song you sing, it`s the voice you deliver it in."
By saying this, I am referring to the image that the artist uses to produce a painting must carry the artist`s style or maker`s mark. It is their unique way of expression. I have developed my unique style over the years and it's only going to get better with each painting.
I won a blue ribbon on Saturday, April 10, 2010 at the San Clemente Garden Festival, held in the San Clemente Community Center, downtown, SC, Calif. I painted the image you see below. I was asked to attend and paint some of the flower arrangements in the auditorium for the San Clemente Art Association. I looked around and didn`t pick a floral arrangement, I saw this gorgeous iron vase with a unique succulent plant pouring out of it like wine. It asked to be painted with it`s shape, so I did. It is titled, "Succulents in Iron Vase", 6"W x 8"H, oil on linen panel. Price is $100 without a frame. $140 with a gorgeous wide edge dark wood frame.



















I am the assistant director this year of SOCALPAPA`S Back Bay Show & Sale at the Muth Interpretive Center in Newport`s Back Bay. The show dates are July 24-25, 2010. There will be both a juried art show with the opening reception on July 23rd and an outdoor art sale on the 24th-25th. More info will be coming soon. This is going to be a big, important show! Mark your calendars! I will be there!

One last request, would you like to sign up for the Esther J. Williams - Newsletter? It is a monthly email newsletter chock full of show and award news, art, hikes into the wilderness and stories about my personal artist life. Sign up on the link!

No comments: