Custom Search

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Red Roses in a Cranberry Fenton Vase oil painting



















On exhibition at the San Clemente Art Gallery, downtown San Clemente, California on Aveida Del Mar in the Community Center Building across from the library. It is in the Spring Flower & Garden Show from April 5-May 30, 2009.
Title "You Got My Heart on a String", Medium-Oil on Linen over board, Size-8"W x 11"H. Price is $300 in a gorgeous black frame with antique gold trim. Statement: It's a funny story about this painting. I received a dozen long stem roses for my birthday on March 18th, the largest vase we have is a big Fenton art glass in a cranberry color. The way the light goes through this vase is incredible with the coin dot pattern it has. I placed the vase on our kitchen table and it took up the whole table practically. The night before my birthday, my 15 yr old daughter, Alina, decorated the whole downstairs in paper hearts and swirling spirals, it was magical looking. Still have them hanging, I love it and her too. The roses started to beckon me with their rich red color, so I decided to paint the whole vase with roses. I reached to grab the vase and carried it out to the diningroom where I had more sunlight. The tall roses caught up one of the paper hearts and it just hung on the string off the rose. I knew right away it was a sign, some magic had happened again, it was meant to be in the painting. So, I made sure it was facing the right way and I painted it in there. This is a different style or an evolution of a style to me as I really painted in strong colors and boldly. I also wanted the heart and the rose closest to it to drip in color or bleed downwards. I saw it once in a Picasso painting and was drawn to it. So, I tried that technique for the first time, I loved it! This painting has been done also with a painting gel similar to what Cezanne used to enhance the gloss of the oils and keep the impasto strokes. It really works well. The other funny thing was that I have a Cezanne print in my bathroom of some tulips in a stone vase and the background always intrigued me, so this painting has a background similar to it with some of my own innovations. I am going to make prints of this, if you are interested in a high quality giclee, please send me an email. ew@visions2art.com I will ask $75 for the 8x11 size on stretched canvas. I really am excited about how this turned out. Here you can see a close-up of the bleeding heart and rose, even some of the leaves bleed.


















Also, here is the actual bouquet of roses next to the painting. The light blasting through the windows was too much and whitened out the background. I think I want to make this into cards also, it really has a romantic feeling to it. Enjoy!

No comments: